A complete guide on how to buy high-performance tires
High-performance tires are those tires that are known for their high traction and superior handling. They offer better maneuverability than other tires. They are made to deliver enhanced traction on a wet and dry surface. High-performance tires are also categorized as sports performance tires that are only suitable for summer. So, high-performance tires may not be suitable for all weather conditions. They are manufactured as racing tires that offers you speed and acceleration.
In this blog, we will take up a few queries that we have got from our customers regarding high-performance tires and help them make an informed decision while buying the best racing tires.
Queries on high-performance tires
1. Who needs high-performance tires?
If you have a performance car such as a superfast car or sports car and you wish to race it on a track, you may need high- performance tires. High-performance tires are particularly designed for acceleration and a good grip on the road. A performance car will look for dexterity, stability, cornering-speed, and excellent deacceleration power. They offer high acceleration even in the long-distance drive. High-performance tires are made with such tire compounds which allows them to retain an above-average grip on the road and are best suited for performance cars.
2. Are they fuel efficient?
High-performance tires are categorized as premium tires. Premium tires are more expensive than the standard tires. Premium tires are also more durable, offer high performance, and have better designs. However, they are less fuel-efficient compared to standard quality car tires. Though high-performance tires may not help you with mileage, it does offer dexterity and grip on the road. But do not lose your heart. If you search online there are plenty of best places to buy tires online on discounts. Grab best deals on tires during the Sales period.
3. How long do the best racing tires last?
Compared to passenger tires, high-performance tires have a shorter life span. High-performance tires have a high treadwear rate and may need replacement very often. While standard tires may last for whopping 50,000 miles, the high-performance tires last only up to 20,000 miles. It’s always recommended checking the tread of high-performance tires once a month. It may need replacement while moving to a new climatic zone or if it picks up nails as any other sharp object.
4. What are the best tire brands for sports cars and high-performance tires?
1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires: These tires demonstrate a high level of traction along with balance. What makes them the best performance tires in this range is their durability. While high-performance tires do not last long, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires demonstrate amazing durability.
2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: It is one of the best performance tires that not only offers enhanced grip but also durability and comfort. First, it offers better-wet traction than its competitors. Second, it also boasts an enhanced tread life which is a far cry for most tires in this category.
3. Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R: It comes with a special tire compound that keeps it soft and light for heightened speed. It also offers a high level of grip which you can never find in other tires. A point to remember here is that these tires belong to racing tire variants, as such they will offer maximum performance on track only.
1. How fast do tires wear?
Usually, a passenger tire or standard tire does not last more than three to four years. So, at max, you can gain a run of 12000 to 15000 miles from these tires. However, High-performance tires may wear out early due to their high rolling resistance. Since they offer high speed and good grip, their rubber wears out faster than other tires.
2. Are high-performance tires worth the money?
Absolutely! Though you may need to sacrifice on mileage and longevity of the tires. But if you are driving a high-speed car, it is suggested that you go for high-performance tires as they offer you better grip and high safety. These tires enhance your ability to stop faster and steer better. They have a quick and impressive response rate which is needed for cars with high acceleration capacity.
3. Are high-performance tires noisy?
High-performance tires are not as noisy as off-road tires. But if you are looking for quietest tires in the catalog then go for standard tires with low rolling resistance. They are known for being the quietest tires on the road.
4. How frequently high-performance tires need rotation?
It is suggested that every tire should get rotation after every six months or a drive of 6000 miles (Whichever comes first). With high-performance tires, it is advised that the rotation is done more frequently due to their high rolling resistance. Rotation helps the tires to wear evenly and in the long run, can help your tires last longer. To know more about how to maintain your tires you can click here.
5. What is the speed rating for high-performance tires?
The speed rating of the performance tire may range between 130 mph to 149 mph. They will as such receive the rating H or V respectively. On the other hand, high-performance tires or sports tires attain a speed of 149 mph and may go as high as 189 mph. So, high-performance tires mostly come with a higher speed rating such as Z, W, or Y, starting from V.
6. What is the recommended tire tread depth?
Since high-performance tires wear out early it is always good to maintain the recommended tread depth of the tires. The "penny test" is a famous way to learn whether your tires need replacement.
However, it is suggested that once the depth reaches 4/32, it’s time to change the tires. Anything less than 2/32 can be hazardous on the road.
This was all about how to buy high-performance tires. I hope this article was informative enough and will help you make the right choice. If you are looking for the best place to buy tires online do check the product page of Gottires.com. We have some of the popular variants from the best tire brands for sports cars and high-performance tires with a huge discount.
Published on: Aug 28, 2020