A Complete guide on how to buy Mud tires
There’s no doubt that mud tires are off-road category vehicle tire. If you are planning to buy mud tires here’s what you should keep in mind. You should opt for Mud tires if you are spending 80% of your driving time off-road. These are special category tires that come with aggressive tread design and large blocks to increase traction on swamp or rocky driveways. So, if you are planning to buy a Mud Tire, probably you already own a truck, Jeep, or an SUV that is used for limitless adventure trips!
Now, the question is whether Mud tires are the best off-road tires? What are the other options available to buyers? And what information buyers must have before buying Mud tires.
Let me answer the first questions, the closest model to a mud tire are the All-terrain tires. With more and more customers opting for All-terrain tires in their SUVs and CUVs, this tire segment is undergoing a lot of changes. They are being remodeled to be more rider-friendly with improved traction on paved roads and all-year-round usability. The All-Terrain tires initially were created to offer traction on Off-road conditions. But now, they have become a single point driving solution as far as tire capabilities are concerned.
To answer whether Mud tires are the best-off road tires available we will have to dive deep. So, let's talk about the pros and cons associated with Mud tires.
What makes Mud tires Different from other tires
Large tread block
If you are driving on very rough roads, you will need Mud tires which can give you good traction on deep mud or snow. Their solid and hefty tread pattern offers a better grip on any uneven surface, be it swamp or rocky fields. The tapered grooves can push away the rocks and gravels easily which all-season tires or standard passenger tires will fail to do.
Most Mud tires come with the feature called three-ply sidewall making them increasingly puncture resistant. The tires also have a better biting edge for lateral stability. Their sidewall compound allows them to endure harsh road conditions and gives them resistance against cut and chip.
These tires may also feature stone ejectors that push away dangling mud and pebbles that may impact the traction of the tires. The wider groove helps the tread to sink in the mucky surface without losing control.
Better handling of Off-road conditions
If you compare Mud tires with All-season tires or passenger tires, you will vouch for Mud tires seeing their impressive off-road performance. Standard tires will not offer you the kind of handling and maneuverability that mud tires offer on muddy conditions or highly uneven surfaces. The only tire which can be compared with Mud tire for being the best tires for the muddy surface is the All-Terrain tire.
Pros & Cons associated with the Mud Tires
- However, if you are buying tires online, remember Mud tires are not meant for everyday driving. It is because they belong to a special category of tire variant. They lack an all-round performance element. So, while they work exceptionally well in harsh road surfaces, they have their shortcoming when used on a day-to-day basis. Let’s analyze these points.
- These tires are not as comfortable as other variants. The tires start producing noise once their tread wears out. The high pitch hum produced only gets louder if you hit the accelerator hard on the highway.
- There have been many complaints regarding Mud tires skidding on a wet surface. Mostly, their large tread block needs to grip the surface and are made for uneven trails. But these wide channels on the tire fail to expel water. Hence, it leads to skidding.
- They are less fuel-efficient than other models of the tire. As we all know larger blocks on the tire surface offer greater rolling resistance. This leads to more fuel consumption by your car engine. Mud tires may be best tires on mud but may not be tagged as best on off-road tires list.
- They also have shorter tread life, which means you may have to go for routine tire rotation. But even with tire rotation, they may not offer the durability you’ll get with other tire variants from the best tire brands.
What criteria you should fix before choosing a Mud tire?
With all pros and cons, a buyer should also contemplate his requirement before buying tires online or from an offline tire shop. Questions that you must ask you self are:
1: How many off-road trips do I make? Do they meet the requisite 80% mark?
2: Do I need the new set of tires for only off-road trips or am I going to use them for both, off-road and on-road drives?
3: Since Mud tires are more expensive than All-season tires or All-Terrain tires, do I have the budget for Mud tires?
4: What weather conditions I am living in, as Mud tires are good for swampy or rough roads, but they do no perform well in rainy conditions or harsh winters.
Undoubtedly, Mud tires are a compromise on road. But they do perform well on conditions for which they are specifically made. If you are required to drive your vehicle on a farm, on the muddy path, and bumpy unpaved roads almost daily, Mud tire will be your necessity. They perform well on grounds where standard tires will slide off. But, if you are mostly driving on the city road and are looking for a rare adventure trip, All-terrain tires can also accommodate your needs.
Ultimately, the choice will solely depend on your driving needs. A few of the best tire brands that you can check out while choosing mud tires are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2, Firestone Destination M/T2, and General Grabber AT2.
If you are looking for Mud tires at affordable rate, do check Gottires product page. You can always search for a discount on tires when you buy tires online and get premium branded tires at a very affordable price. At Gottires we float our sales ads on special occasions where customers get a chance to own high-quality tires at a reasonable cost. You can check our product page to learn more about best tires brands which are popular among consumers for being fuel-efficient.
Published on: Dec 16, 2020